Monday, August 15, 2016

The Daily Routine

Last year our school adopted the Math Expressions math program.  The first year of any new curriculum is a lot of trial and error as you find what works best for you.  In trying to be as authentic as possible I tried to cover all the components of the lesson.  However, the one component that I could never really get inspired by was the "Daily Routine." Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of repetitive skills practice and totally see the benefits, but I couldn't quite make this work. 

I attempted it, as the book suggested, but with only one student being the leader (because lets just face it switching leaders for each part takes too darn long)  it would often leave the rest of the class playing with their shoelaces and not paying one bit of attention.  But hey, that leader was totally engaged! So, after a few weeks of that, I attempted using a Daily Routine binder that had reusable pages in clear plastic sleeves.  We would get them out and try and wipe them off but can I just say they became a hot mess quickly! The sleeves would wrinkle and the markers made them dirty. So needless to say that just got scraped too! 

I decided I wanted to continue experimenting, and when each child had their own binder to work from it did make a difference. I talked to my teammates and we all agreed that everyone needed to be actively engaged with busy pencils writing. :) So, I am excited to share the new and improved Daily Routine Binder I have created.  



In this binder the students will have a number grid just like the large size one that hangs in your classroom.  As the student leader circles the number of the day (add 2, 3, or 4) the other children are circling it in their binder as well.  The kids only need one number grid in their book and will add on circles each day.




 The next part I included is a blank grid page. Each binder only needs one of these as well, until it fills up, and then you just replace the copy.  As the leader is removing the sticky notes to add on using the big flip chart, the rest of the class is drawing those same circles on their own blank grid.
I suggest copying both this page and the number grid page on white card stock. Since it is used each day you want it hold up.




In the last section of the binder are the routine pages that go with each specific unit.  The first three boxes remain the same throughout all eight units, but the fourth box changes depending on which new routine you teach.  The students will fill in a new routine page each day.  So, for example, if there are 14 lessons in unit 1 then you would make 14 copies of the unit routines page for each students binder.  When the unit ends you just pull these pages out and drop in a new set of pages for unit 2. While the leader is doing their thing, the rest of the class is also participating. Hooray!
Here is an example of the routines page for unit 4



 I have also included teacher "cheat sheet" cards.  I copied them onto to card stock and used a binder ring to hang them near our math charts.  This way I can have a copy in my hand to guide them and not have to carry around my manual, trying to remember the order and what to do.


Additionally, I included a weather and temperature graph.  I know Expressions doesn't focus on this as part of the routine but I still like to have my students complete this.  I also embedded in the first box of the unit routine a bit of calendar information.  Students record the day, date, etc. and keep track of how many days we have been in first grade.  Last year my students couldn't understand why the number of the day on the number grid didn't match the number of days in school. And let me tell you, I couldn't always keep it straight either. :)  I attempted to resolve that, let's hope it helps.




The cute little cover also comes in full color or black and white if you want to print it on colored paper instead to save ink.

I expect this year this will be a much smoother part of our math time.  I look forward to this actually becoming a "Daily Routine" 


3 comments:

  1. How did the Daily Routine work out for you last year? I am thinking about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine!
      The daily routine notebook was very helpful and addressed several of my students needs last year. It definitely kept the entire class engaged and set the tone for our math block each day. Honestly speaking at the beginning of the year it was more me doing the work, but as time went on and they learned the routine they were definitely in charge. The first unit was the hardest for them because even transferring print at the beginning of the year is difficult for most.
      I saw the payout later when it came to their solid grasp of base ten and understanding of number order etc. I will be honest and say that at the end of the year when things got hectic we were not very faithful in completing the routine. I found it interesting because my very highest math student would consistently ask me during that time of year..."when are we going to do the daily routine?" so I knew she truly enjoyed it and wasn't bored with the process.
      I hope that answered your questions.... there is a little bit of prep to having each unit copied and hole punched ahead of time but I had a parent volunteer who assisted with that.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! Do you by chance have one for 2nd grade? or know someone who does?

    ReplyDelete