Sunday, August 14, 2016

Brag Tags - International Baccalaureate PYP Style

     At the beginning of each year when you set the tone, and establish your rules and routines, developing good behavior management is at the top of the "to do" list.  The school I teach in is a PYP International Baccalaureate school.  Part of being an IB school is teaching our students the traits and attitudes that are connected to this program.  

     I started noticing all the posts online about teachers using Brag Tags in their classrooms.  I currently have a great system using an IB clip chart that I created that works wonderfully.  However, I wanted to look at other ways to build positive connections with my students, and somehow tie it directly to our IB program.  I decided in order to do this I wanted to use the Brag Tag idea but also pull in those traits and attitudes we teach.  I created a set of 30 different IB Brag Tags.  Each tag has one of the learner profile traits, attitudes, taking action, or the transdisciplinary themes on them.  Along with a kid friendly statement that explains what the trait or attitude means.



If you haven't heard of Brag Tags let me explain how I plan to use them.  
Brag Tags are small tags that students collect and wear on a necklace or keep on a binder ring. As students demonstrate a particular IB trait or attitude they are awarded a Brag Tag.  In order to manage this effectively I plan to focus on a monthly trait and attitude.  I think this will be the easiest way to keep track of students earning tags. As well as allow me to really focus on the students actions. Of course you can also just give them out for any trait or attitude at any time. Whichever way is easiest.. there are no rules.  If you choose to have a monthly focus I have included large size examples of the brag tags for display.  I have a couple of blank picture frames that I will display the focus of the month in.  I think the kids will REALLY enjoy having their brag tags match the ones on display. Here are some examples of the full size pictures for display.





Here are some tips in order to get you started.  

Prep: Print Brag Tags on either card stock or paper and laminate. Cut each page into 15 separate tags.  Use a hole punch for the top of the tag.  I use a 1/8 hole punch for a small hole at the top of each tag. I purchased this at Michael’s with a coupon.  You can also find the hole punch on Amazon if you don't feel like making an additional trip to the store. Here is an example of what the brag tags look like.  



The transdisciplinary theme tags I will give to students as we complete each Unit of Inquiry.  The taking action brag tag I will distribute when students share how they take action within our school or in our community.



Management of Tags: I use 24 inch Ball Chain Necklaces for my students.  You can purchase them on Amazon.  OR you can go to Hobby Lobby or other local craft stores and buy a spool of ball chain to cut with wire cutters into 24 inch lengths. The 24 inch chains are long enough to slip over the students heads easily. Make sure the chain you purchase from the craft stores comes with the fasteners.  

Some teachers choose not to use the necklaces but rather keep their kids brag tags on binder rings, and students can hook them to their pencil case or backpack.   I have also included an IB reflection journal.  If you choose to use the journal you won’t need to laminate the tags.  The students just glue the tag they earn into their journal and write a reflection on how it was earned. 




** Important – The first tag – IB Learner – is their name tag – I will give this one to the students when I introduce what brag tags are. This way everyone starts out with one right away and can see what they look like.  I write their name in sharpie on the back so if a necklace is found on the floor you know who to give it back to.

Storage: There are many ways to store your tags so they stay organized.  Some teachers use the plastic organizer boxes from the craft store, others use tool boxes with small drawers from the hardware store.  I use baseball card sleeves and put them in a binder (I have sons so we had lots of card sleeves) Here is the binder I have created to store my tags. I have also included the binder cover in case you decide to use a binder for storage as well.  




 Some teachers create displays in their classroom where students hang their brag tags on bulletin boards.  Others have students store them in their desk or pencil box. I have included 2 styles of pennant banners for you if you choose to make a bulletin board display to hang your kids tags on. I have a rather small classroom and will have my students store their tags in their classroom mailboxes.  I would love to create a board but just don't have the space.  

I plan to hand the brag tags out once a week at our morning meeting on Fridays.  Students can then add any tags they earn to their necklace and wear their necklace at school that day.  I decided only once a week would help keep the motivation surrounding brag tags high! 

So, there you have it! IB Brag Tags in a nutshell.  If you decide to try them in your classroom I would love to hear how it goes!! 

Have a great 2016-2017 school year!! 


SaveSave

0 comments:

Post a Comment